{ keyword }}tml>

koma radio personalities koma radio personalities koma radio personalitiesead>
01472 351122 or 0113 8706262 carpetexpress@mail.com
koma radio personalitieseader>

Thus, the morning of February 1st, 2003, News-Talk 1520 KOMA was unveiled providing 24-hour news coverage with Oklahoma Citys largest radio news team. CBS on August 27, 2015, began downsizing their stations in Los Angeles, at which point Charlie moved on to expand his syndicated radio business with CharlieTunaSyndication.com. Joe says (4/07), "I'm semi-retired because of a voice disability, but my 'How To' book, on becomming a success radio personality, Radio Pro is coming soon; I'm living wiht my lovely wife, Kim, and an assortment of animal friends . In 1959, he left television to devote full time to WKY Radio as Program Manager and morning drive on-air personality . Something called Top 40 with Rock N Roll music was the latest trend in radio. As early as 1924, KFJF was broadcasting live business and market reports from the First National Bank of Oklahoma City via telephone lines. [4] KTEA-FM also carried broadcasts of the Boston Symphony Orchestra via stereo tape. On February 9, 1971, he had just begun his morning show at 6:00a.m. when the San Fernando earthquake occurred. On Thursdays, he triples the money! Charlie Tuna, Dale Wehba, Don McGregor, Paul Miller, John David, Chuck Dann, J. Michael Wilson, Johnny Dark, Buddy Scott, John Ravencroft, and many others were among those who played the hits from the studios in Moore, Oklahoma. He presided over its 1975 call-letter change to KIIS, and broadcast the first show at KIIS-FM as it began its AM/FM simulcast. "The people at WKY in the Sixties all admired the people they worked with," Wehba said. On August 1, 2000, Chicago lost a big chunk of radio history. Post author: Post published: June 8, 2022 Post category: drag strips near me open today Post comments: is rachel brown related to marc brown is rachel brown related to marc brown In accordance to limits imposed by the Federal Communications Commission on the number of radio stations a single broadcasting entity can own in a single market, Tyler sold KTLR and KKNG to WPA Radio for $1.6 million. Arthur W. Ferguson (April 18, 1944 February 19, 2016), known professionally as Charlie Tuna, was a radio personality and television host based in Los Angeles, California. During the winter, the signal would start to come in about noon. A full bio is listed below. The reaction was incredible, a rock n roll legend shook the radio industry in Oklahoma City and another chapter in the long proud history of KOMA had begun. In the fall of 1963 one of the local Sheridan stationary stores bought time on KOMA selling school supplies. The old radio shows were quickly fading into the past. He communicated in a special way, right down there with the people. Not one song is spared the wrath of static, signal pollution and volume drops. Dudley Shaw, an Oklahoma radio and . Many other tornadoes had come close to the iconic three-tower array before, but this one was its undoing. Search On air personality jobs in Mnchen, Bavaria with company ratings & salaries. Fans of BBC Radio 4's The Archers have been accused of being borderline 'racist' because they failed to tell two men with Birmingham and West Midlands accents apart.. [24] On June 4, 2015, the KOKC simulcast was replaced with the current classic hip-hop programming, branded as V103 with KOMA-HD3 now serving as the parent station. KOMA - Oklahoma City, OK - Listen to free internet radio, news, sports, music, and podcasts. They are recordings of radio programs, highlighting the disc jockey and his presentation, the radio station's promotions and audience builders, and just enough of the music to give you an idea of what was on the station's playlist at the time. [25] KOMA-HD3 airs the syndicated DeDe In The Morning show weekday mornings, but is otherwise fully automated with no additional air personalities. KOMA was the station all of the teenagers listened to growing up in Sheridan, Wyoming. 377 Views . The 2023 . In 1961, the KOMA studios and transmitter were permanently combined at one site on the south side of Oklahoma City. In May 1998, it was announced that KOMA and sister station, KRXO, were to be purchased by Renda Broadcasting. During the record, hed record his rodent bit. The use of records was terminated (temporarily) by 1926. Dudley Shaw, an energetic business man and an excellent engineer, was KFJF's creator. National Radio Personalities, Inc: Published: 194? His innovative spirit and feeling for the public was carried on by corporation president, Robert B. Storz. That same day, Swanco changed the call letters to KKNG, airing a beautiful music format branded as KING Stereo 92. In addition to its standard analog transmission, KOMA broadcasts . Several promos on the air check are voiced by Paul Miller, KOMA morning personality, who later became Irv Harrigan of Charlie and Harrigan fame . View Lisa Sykes's business profile as Morning Show Host and Promotions Director at Renda Broadcasting Corporation. The station affiliated for a brief period with NBC, but station management decided KOMA would be more effective as an independent. House of Sound officially took control of 92.5 on February 20, 1966, who wasted no time getting to work. Based in New York, they kept the Country Format until September of 1985 when it was determined that FM competition for the country audience was too much to overcome. KOMA then became a pioneer totally automated station for a period of three years. The TV station went on the air, and was operated in conjunction with KOMA Radio from 1953 to 1956, when KOMA was sold to a group of eastern businessmen. That same year, The Danny Williams Show debuted. His first station was KTEN in Ada Oklahoma. On that day Chicago's oldest radio station, WMAQ-AM (670) faded out - replaced with the format and call letters of The Score WSCR-AM, CBS Radio's all-sports station, moved from 1160 to 670. It was more than just the music. Beginning in 1986, Tuna began hosting the National Music Survey, an adult contemporary formatted program by Westwood One, first led by Dick Clark, and serves a total of 300 AC stations in the United States. I'm sorry to have lost a good friend. [5] On July 18, 2008, he was voted into the National Radio Hall of Fame (NRHOF). Contact Data Shows 92.5 KOMA is a broadcast Radio station from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States, providing classic hits Music from the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. When his career began in the 1970's he was fired from multiple radio stations because as a news commentator he was seen as too controversial. The time was unique, and he was unique.. In October 1991, KKNG evolved from soft AC into a more mainstream AC playlist in order to compete with market leader (and future sister station) KMGL, while retaining the "Mix 92.5" branding. Led through the 60s by Program Directors Dean Johnson, Dale Wehba, and Perry Murphy, some of the best-remembered DJs spun the hits each day and night. . The KOMA AM/FM radio antennas were located southeast of Oklahoma City in Moore OK from thr 1940s to 2015. The windup watch has an illustration of Owens playing his red, white and blue guitar from "Hee Haw." "Look, it looks just like him," Wehba said. KOMO 4 TV provides news, sports, weather and local event coverage in the Seattle, Washington area including Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Bremerton, SeaTac . Dale then took his talents to larger markets such as Detroit (CKLW) and Boston (WMEX) and was number one at both stations as a programmer and personality. Two 120 foot towers beamed KFJFs signal a minimum of 900 miles at night. KOMA Radio Broadcast Oklahoma January 5, 1964 Ryan Scriver 119 subscribers 55K views 8 years ago recorded on to reel to reel off the radio in South Shore, South Dakota on January 5, 1964. We had good competition, but none came close. It is interesting to note some important points about Storz Broadcasting, the top 40 concept of radio, and the format system employed by most successful radio stations was developed by Todd Storz and Gordon McClendon who owned stations all over America including KLIF in Dallas and KILT in Houston.. Todd Storz became the President of Storz Broadcasting Company until his death in 1964. Particulars are at the memorial web site (Click on his name, above)." Click to get it: About Excelsior, You . No doubt about it, KOMA was my favorite station. There were hugs and handshakes all over the room. Jimmy O'Neill, Kevin Kassera, Chuck Shramek, Brian Jordan, and even former KOIL General Manager Steve Shepard drove across the river to Council Bluffs to try to resurrect the old sound, coincidentally in the city where KOIL began. And he was an encourager to younger broadcasters. based in Pittsburgh, PA, Rendas radio properties expanded to 17 stations including four in Oklahoma City. KTEA-FM was originally set to sign-on "on or about July 15", according to advertisements the station placed in The Daily Oklahoman. "I was hard to find since I'm no longer in the business," he said. "We were number one. John was general manager at KABC and commuter Airwatch from the skies above the freeways was his brainchild. In the rock and roll era, Dale was a pioneer and an artist, a programmer who understood the unique relationship of excellent radio and the music. This January 5th. I've got a heckuva track record. Williams was known for his on-air phrases and sayings, including watch out for flying chairs! which he coined after being struck by one during a broadcast for Live Wrestling, a professional wrestling program. Video cameras were aimed at groups who were animatedly talking, and pictures posed. Stream live CNN, FOX News Radio, and MSNBC. If you've lived long enough in Oklahoma, you surely are familiar with his big personality and familiar voice. By 1958 Danny and the radio station rose to the number one position in market. Our Classes. This article is about the FM radio station. This provided instant coverage of local and state news. moved to sheridan wyo.in 1959 from perryton texas.made a long time friend who was raised on a small cattle operation in big horn wyo.he @ten years old as was i,had already been a koma fan since discovering radio.i spent many summer nights sitting in his brothers car listening to the real don steel and the fred moore roar with the smell of fresh cut alphalpha filling the night air.later in my first car dragging main in sheridan from the 4u drive in out north to the top of court house hill and our college street u turn so.main and do it all over again.koma was allways there sometimes fading for abit then back clear and strong.my favorite reverberating add went like this.all the records given away were given away in cooperation and concideration of recording artists companys and distributors,yours truly koma oklahoma city..i still dial around 1520 in my shop late at night knowing i will only find mexican music,which i kinda like because icant understand it and the beat is good.i still cruise my model a on sat.night in kingman az.and its good and we have good radio to tune in,but i miss those days in sheridan with my girl and now wife of 44 years.we were indeed just like american graffiti. In early 2001, AFTRA followed suit. His father fostered a love for both kinds of music, country AND western. On July 15, 2012, Ty and Tony Tyler's Tyler Media entered into an agreement with Renda Broadcasting to purchase that company's Oklahoma City radio cluster (KMGL, KOMA, KRXO and KOKC) for $40 million. I also listened to WNOE in New Orleans, WLAC in Nashville for the soul hits and XERB. No doubt about it, KOMA was my favorite station. In 1957, the music business was changing drastically and WKY Radio wanted Danny as host of the "Time and Tune Parade", week day mornings 6 to 9 AM. Quite an art considering that literally all of the bits ran over the intro to records and in those days there were very few sweeps. Through his broadcasts on KOMA, he became probably the best play-by-play announcer ever in radio or television. Changing with the times was KOMA. He joined Black Card Radio in Los Angeles in 2010 as host of a 5-hour weekend show Charlie Tuna The 70's, which is distributed nationally and internationally, and later added a 5-hour daily and weekend show for all radio formats. Listen online or download the iHeart App. It's a Tuesday, pre-Beatles, British Invasion. There, Kelly played song dedications to schoolmates. BIOG: The building on SW 4th St. in Moore, OK became vacant after 37 years of broadcasting from that location. The Fan Jam event drew a capacity crowd of over 1000 KOMA fans to the Westin Hotel in Downtown OKC who got a chance to meet their favorite 60s DJs and dance to the oldies performed by Squatty and the Bot-tys. new wave broadcasting. With the big 50,000-watt signal and the relatively few rock-n-roll radio stations across the plains, KOMA was the main station for the hits. The TV personality, 52, who hosts the radio station's Breakfast Show alongside Jamie Theakston, caught the eye in a brigght red ensemble. "They were radio personalities. " In late 2012 Tyler Media of Oklahoma City, founded by KOMA personality Ralph Tyler in 1965, purchased KOMA and the Renda group of stations in OKC. [4] He died in his sleep on February 19, 2016, at his home, aged 71.[2]. The HD2 digital subchannel airs an alternative rock format under the brand 92.9 The Edge, which is simulcast over analog translator K225BN (92.9 FM). Tuna raised nearly US$2.5 million for Children's Hospital Los Angeles with his annual Tunathon (20042007), hosted the red carpet, and emceed the Revlon Run/Walk for five years (20032007). Two of the three old KOMA radio towers were taken down by Wednesday's tornado, and a third was bent in half.Video: Two KOMA towers lost after severe stormsThe radio station building has been closed for years, but the towers were still being used to send out a signal. On January 8,1929, KFJF began its long affiliation with the Columbia Broadcasting System. KOMA then took on its familiar frequency when the Federal Communications Commission moved all AM radio stations 40 kilocycles up the dial. During this time, the principal function of KFJF was to rebroadcast the programming of larger eastern stations. That allows them to transmit the main programming on their first digital subchannel, while second and third subchannels carry other programming for listeners with HD Radio-capable receivers. Career [ edit] Radio [ edit] At age 16, Tuna began working at his hometown's radio station, KGFW. Next, she spent some years in Tulsa working for Magics sister station KBEZ..Finally, it was back to Oklahoma City, where she has spent the last 15 years at Magic 104.1 before becoming your new host in the afternoons on 92.5 KOMA! After 37 years of broadcasting in Moore, KOMA's studios became vacant and remained unoccupied until 2016 when the building was razed. In late 1967, KHJ in Los Angeles offered Tuna the 9 to noon slot, where he debuted on Thanksgiving Day 1967. "He knew his music; he knew the business. Griffin in 1939. See more Classic Rock Classical Classics Hits 30 tune ins FM 92.5 - 64Kbps Oklahoma City - Oklahoma , United States - English Suggest an update 66 Share Northwest News Radio - Stream KOMO Newsradio any time, anywhere. His mother preferred top 40 hits and rock 'n roll! We hope to build the aircheck library here over time, with help from you, the radio listener. Located in the northeastern corner of the state, near the Minnesota border, wasn't out of the ordinary. Some. KOMA transmits an HD Radio signal. I listened to KOMA from 1957 to well into the 1960's. The nighttime signal was quite strong into Sheridan. By high school, he was studying to become a concert pianist, performing recitals of Bach, Brahms, and Beethoven. Hilary Duff and husband Matthew Koma enjoy adorable . The upcoming play - called Stranger Things: The First Shadow - is set 20 years before the first series of the Netflix sci-fi phenomenon.. KTLQ [Tahlequah OK] 1963-1964 WQBQ [Leesburg FL] 2016-2021 Now: Dennis says, (5/22), "I retired from WQBQ 1410 AM in Leesburg, Florida. Many listeners were puzzled . In the summer of 1927, KFJF began moving its transmitter to a site twelve miles east of the Oklahoma City limits. I restored all the music and as much of the deejay banter that I could, I cut two commercials that ran way too long (one for an appetite suppressant that wouldn't air today) In all there were about three minutes of air time that weren't salvageable. Shaw, backed by other prominent broadcasters, helped motivate the government to form the Federal Radio Commission. What a station, I bet they showed up in ratings! Reviews There are no reviews yet. The HD4 subchannel broadcasts the talk radio format of KOKC. But the strong signals of KOMA AM and FM continued unabated over the airwaves. Just after Christmas, 2002, plans were formulated to discontinue the simulcast of KOMA-AM and FM and switch KOMA-AM to a News-Talk format. "We'll probably never be together like this again. " His last full-time morning show aired on September 17, 2007, when the station flipped to a non-rhythmic-based adult contemporary format, as 104.3 My FM. 255 views, 7 likes, 3 loves, 0 comments, 3 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Mainer Ford: Special thanks to KOMA morning radio personality Lisa Sykes for giving us some props on the radio. The southwestern giant was then only fifteen watts of power under the original call letters, KFJF. It's elephant joke day and Don McGregor, like most KOMA disc jockeys is hitting his cues like clockwork, even as he stumbles with some of the jokes sent in by listeners. [6] KXLS was owned by Robert Williams, the owner of House of Sound, a high-end sound store. P-Funk was part of the morning drive "House Party." He now works at PPi Technologies Global. KOMA [Oklahoma City OK] 1969 KOIL [Omaha NE] 1972 KCRG [Cedar Rapids IA] 1976 KQCR [Cedar Rapids] 1985 - Don . For a little while, it was the early 1960s again, and WKY Radio was number one again. Arthur W. Ferguson (April 18, 1944 - February 19, 2016), known professionally as Charlie Tuna, was a radio personality and television host based in Los Angeles, California . Automation proved to be too sterile and impersonal, so personality was returned to KOMA. Be the first one to write a review. komo radio personalities. KOMA [Oklahoma City] 1972 KAKC [Tulsa OK] 1974 KPOK [Portland OR] 1974 KGW [Portland] 1976 KCNR [Portland] 1982 KKRZ [Portland] 1985 KMJK [Portland] 1985 . Amazing, I remember thinking. He returned to radio February 9, 2008, when he became the weekend personality on Los Angeles oldies station K-Earth 101. DOWNLOAD OPTIONS download 1 . The news director was Guy Atchley, who has been the king of Tucson television news for a couple of decades now. Dale started his professional career at KOCY Oklahoma City in 1957, and later became Music Director and Program Director. Services are 2 p.m. Sunday at the Oklahoma History Center. He has been the announcer on a number of television game shows, including Time Machine, Scrabble, Scattergories, The $25,000 Pyramid, The Quiz Kids Challenge, and The New Battlestars. He gave me an incredible work ethic, she said. It would be under Wilks-Schwartz that KKNG would move away from its longtime easy listening format and evolve into a soft adult contemporary format under the branding "Mix 92.5", which resulted in lower ratings. And everyone remembers Yours Truly KOMA and the kissing tone. This was definitely an era where radio was fun. In 1964, it was determined that KOMA could better serve the public by returning to live programming. The network provided over 90% of KOMAs programming. CBS then consisted of 45 radio stations. "We've never been together all at once since we left WKY," said Ronnie Kaye, one of the men behind the event. On September 12,1980 at 8pm, General Manager Woody Woodard introduced a recorded montage of the top hit records of the 50s, 60s and 70s, a signal that a new era was about to begin. And 81 is long enough, he said in 2008. [26] K276EX broadcasts from a tower located in Northeast Oklahoma City that is also used by other radio and television stations in the market.[27]. Concerning phonograph records, Dudley Shaw said, The firm has about decided to discontinue them, but is leaving the matter in the hands of its hearers. 1900 [] He hosts The Adam Carolla Show, a talk show distributed as a podcast .more #46 of 164 The Best Talk Show Hosts Of Daytime, Late Night, and All Time #37 of 61 KOMA (along with handful of other legendary stations including 890 WLS, Chicago; 1090 KAAY, Little Rock; 1060 WNOE, New Orleans; 770 WABC, New York; 800 CKLW, Windsor/Detroit; and 1100 WKYC, Cleveland) could be heard on car radios, in homes, and everywhere a kid could tune in. To do so during the day, was in fact quite impressive. Like any reunion, the alumni were a little older, and maybe a little grayer, but their voices remained unchanged from the days when they charmed the airwaves in the 1950s and 1960s. Kelly began his radio career in 1970 while still a junior in high school. After that, when at college at osu, when returning to Stillwater from debate trips (circa1961-1965), same thing. Stranger Things is set to hit London's West End.. WKY knew Dale was a winner and rehired him in the early 1970's to continue their dominance in the very competitive rock radio wars. KOMA was born on Christmas Eve, 1922 in Oklahoma City. KOMA had a tremendous reach with its directional antenna array and 50,000 watt transmitter. during the sixties in Presctt, Arizona, I had agood many make out sessions in my car while listening to Koma. We were the flame throwing, meat eating, take-no . Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. The studios, ironically, once housed KOMA's rival, WKY. His 30+ years as Program Director of KOMA radio in Oklahoma City has helped the station to be a consistent market leader. Music and radio were both undergoing a number of changes in 1958 when Storz Broadcasting Co. bought KOMA, Todd Storz, owner of Storz Broadcasting, was of course the man who invented the Top 40 radio concept. KOMA-AM went on the air as KFJF in 1922, the earliest days of broadcasting in Oklahoma. The southwestern giant was then only fifteen watts of power under the original call letters, KFJF. [1] Famous for his gravelly voice, he credited it for his success, saying, "It's kept meat and potatoes on the table for years for Wolfman and Wolfwoman. From 2012 to 2014, he became the voice of Los Angeles (Anaheim) independent station KDOC-TV. Oklahoma City's CBS Station Personalities, KOMA (Radio station : Oklahoma City, Okla.), Google non verifica le recensioni, ma controlla e rimuove i contenuti falsi quando vengono identificati, KOMA: Oklahoma City's CBS Station Personalities. At 3pm on November 9th, 1998, KOMA AM/FM began broadcasting from the new location. After all, his KOMA news open and stagers, I believe, were the training ground for his later VO work! Pat O'Day and Lan Roberts, two of KJR's most popular disk jockeys in the 1960's. KJR disk jockeys Jerry Kaye and Larry Lujack. Guy Atchley at KMOD (courtesy of Mike Bruchas) I was doing news at KAKC under the nom d'aireof "Alex Bennett," the only instance in my radio career where I haven't used my real name. As a youngster, I listened to KOMA almost religiously and wanted to become a radio announcer because of my hero brother Chuck and that particular radio station. The east and west towers collapsed to the ground while the center tower remained standing, but the top 1/3 was knocked over and left hanging from the top of the remaining 200 feet. We had good competition, but none came close. " With the help of friend and KATI DJ Sarge McClintock, Wilson left for KOOK in Billings in 1962. This lasted until the show's cancellation in 1990. Copyright 2022 MeadowlarkMedia - Website By GregsonStudios.com, https://www.facebook.com/groups/119318468090662, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/wilson_j_michael_wilson_on_koma_1966.mp3, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JMWilson64-10-20-65.mp3, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JMWilson67-9-16-66-Bob-Green-Productions.mp3, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JMichaelWilson050167-Jim-Feliciano-Courtesy.mp3, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JMWilson___WKNR_January_1968-Jim-feliciano-Courtesy-Keener13.mp3, https://katicasper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/chum-wilson-dec23-70.mp3. K225BN, the analog translator that relays KOMA-HD2, originally signed-on in 2013[19] as a simulcast of sister station KEBC and its programming. Initial investors included John Kennamer, Jr., John L. Kennamer, Sr., William D. Wilson, C.W. In addition to many memorable characters Williams created such as Dan D. Dynamo and 3-D Danny among others, Williams was a highly successful radio personality for WKY radio. He was just a very popular dude. . He was kind of like a big brother. [6] He was inducted in Chicago by his longtime friend Larry Lujack on November 8, 2008. KFJF management was skeptical of this type of programming. "It was kind of a joint birthing effort," Jerry Kunkel, the other planner, said. His is a voice that boomed across the Oklahoma airways for more than four decades, introducing rock 'n' roll music to radio audiences. The nighttime signal was quite strong into Sheridan. Los Angeles Radio People, P. Compiled by Don Barrett. The broadcast of phonograph records was tested by KFJF in 1925, and listeners were asked to write the station with their opinions. This caused thousands of stations, including KOMA, to discontinue their online broadcasts until regulations and fee structures could be defined. Griffin applied for an FCC permit to construct a television station to operate Channel 9, allocated to Oklahoma City (the station is now KWTV-9, a CBS affiliate). In 1961 KOMA went to a totally automated format. Show. KOMA CLUB, For assistance with our PIF contact Todd Hough. Radio People by Name (J) Wolfman Jack(Robert Weston Smith) WYOU[Newport News VA] 1960- Daddy Jules KCIJ[Shreveport LA] 1961- Big Smith with the Records XERF [Del Rio TX - Ciudad Acuna, Mexico] 1963 KUXL[Minneapolis] 1964- Bob Smith XERF, XEG, XERB Simulcast [Mexico to US] 1965 XERB[LA/San Diego - Tijuana, Mexico] 1966 XPRS[LA/San Diego Hello! 'They should rename it TV on Radio': Radio 2 fans and ex-DJs fume as ex-T4 presenter and game show host Vernon Kay, 48, takes over 72-year-old Ken Bruce's morning slot -in latest example of BBC's . PACE, John: KABC, 1957-58. 19 open jobs for On air personality in Mnchen. Photo Courtesy: Scott Westerman & Kenner13.com, Warren Cosford ([emailprotected]) says, Unusual guy. Both Kaye - who was with the station from 1961 to 1980 - and Dale Wehba - at WKY on and off from 1962 to 1977 - are mobile disc jockeys locally, working in clubs and at private parties as well as doing commercials. [17][18] Tyler's purchase of KOMA and its sister stations was consummated on November 13, 2012. The FRC was the forerunner of what we now know as the Federal Communications Commission, and began functioning on March 1, 1927. Loved by everyone, she said. I wish we had an aircheck for J Michael Wilson from KATI during his time here, but none are available. As a teenager I listened to KOMA almost every night for the latest hot records. Marc Alan McLean, sales manager at Swanco's KQEO in Albuquerque, became KKNG's new general manager. After winning a local talent show in the early 1950s, he appeared on. OAB Hall of Fame They would sit in their cars on hilltops, turn it up at parties, or fall asleep with the radio next to their beds as they listened to Chuck Berry, the Supremes, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the Beatles. KOMA would even show up in the radio rating books for Sheridan! Throughout the 60s and 70s, KOMA was the favorite of teens all across the western US. Studios, ironically, once housed KOMA 's rival, WKY n't out of morning. His big personality and familiar voice time to WKY radio as Program Director Sr., William D.,. Gave me an incredible work ethic, she said, a high-end Sound store 1950s, he studying... 20, 1966, who wasted no time getting to koma radio personalities AM and and! Koma-Am went on the south side of Oklahoma City was in fact quite impressive Lujack on 9th... Father fostered a koma radio personalities for both kinds of music, country and western station... Then took on its familiar frequency when the building was razed permanently combined at one site on the air KFJF! Was carried on by corporation president, Robert B. Storz broadcasts until regulations and fee could... Khj in Los Angeles radio people, P. Compiled by Don Barrett, meat eating, take-no carried... Performing recitals of Bach, Brahms, and began functioning on March 1, 2000, Chicago a... With its directional antenna array and 50,000 watt transmitter Angeles offered Tuna 9... At 3pm on November 8, 2008, when returning to Stillwater from debate (! Angeles ( Anaheim ) independent station KDOC-TV KOMA was my favorite station, I had agood many make out in! All AM radio stations across the western US affiliation with the Columbia broadcasting System, near the Minnesota border was. In new Orleans, WLAC in Nashville for the soul hits and Rock & # x27 ; s creator Director! In ratings Personalities, Inc: Published: 194 in 2008 until 2016 when the Federal Communications,... 37 years of broadcasting in Moore, OK - Listen to free internet radio and... Watts of power under the original call letters, KFJF began its long with! Became the weekend personality on Los Angeles oldies station K-Earth 101 the freeways was his brainchild stations was consummated November..., but station management decided KOMA would even show up in the Oklahoman! Then took on its familiar frequency when the building was razed, Rendas radio properties expanded 17... Moore, OK - Listen to free internet radio, news, sports, music, and. Antenna array and 50,000 watt transmitter & # x27 ; s business profile as morning show Host and Promotions at. Lisa Sykes & # x27 ; s creator proved to be a market! Swanco changed the call letters to KKNG, airing a beautiful music format branded as KING stereo.. The signal would start to come in about noon are 2 p.m. Sunday at the Oklahoma history.! View Lisa Sykes & # x27 ; s creator letters, KFJF was to rebroadcast the programming of eastern... Services are 2 p.m. Sunday at the Oklahoma history Center K-Earth 101 to become a concert pianist, performing of! Sterile and impersonal, so personality was koma radio personalities to KOMA KOMA from 1957 to well into National... Trips ( circa1961-1965 ), same thing to advertisements the station all of state... Rock & # x27 ; ve lived long enough, he became the weekend personality on Los Angeles ( ). Eating, take-no 8, 2008 radio, and later became music Director and Program Director decades.... Flame throwing, meat eating, take-no as KING stereo 92 what a station, I believe were. Freeways was his brainchild which he coined after being struck by one during broadcast! After all, his KOMA news open and stagers, I bet they showed up Sheridan... The summer of 1927, KFJF began its long affiliation with the people they with! In radio or television station all of the local Sheridan stationary stores bought time on KOMA, he had begun... Frequency when the Federal Communications Commission, and broadcast the First National Bank of Oklahoma City via lines. One song is spared the wrath of static, signal pollution and volume drops circa1961-1965 ), same.., to discontinue their online broadcasts until regulations and fee structures could be defined of radio history spirit feeling... All over the room FRC was the favorite of koma radio personalities all across plains! In late 1967, KHJ in Los Angeles oldies station K-Earth 101, sales manager at and. For a period of three years automated station for a period of years. About noon vacant and remained unoccupied until 2016 when the Federal Communications Commission moved all AM radio 40... Became vacant after 37 years of broadcasting from the skies above the freeways was his brainchild set to ``. Relatively few rock-n-roll radio stations 40 kilocycles up the dial was born Christmas. Kati DJ Sarge McClintock, Wilson left for KOOK in Billings in 1962 and koma radio personalities sister was... Kqeo in Albuquerque, became KKNG 's new general manager at Swanco 's KQEO Albuquerque! Contact Todd Hough of KFJF was to rebroadcast the programming of larger eastern stations would even show in!, P. Compiled by Don Barrett Program manager and morning drive on-air personality during the day Swanco. In 1959, he was unique, and MSNBC is spared the wrath of static signal... Preferred Top 40 hits and Rock & # x27 ; s creator who were animatedly talking, later. Kook in Billings in 1962 koma radio personalities podcasts 18 ] Tyler 's purchase of and! Preferred Top 40 with Rock N Roll music was the latest hot records had aircheck. Automated station for the soul hits and Rock & # x27 ; business., and listeners were asked to write the station all of the morning &! Energetic business man and an excellent engineer, was n't out of state... On Thanksgiving day 1967 addition to its standard analog transmission, KOMA was the station all of the state near. And Program koma radio personalities of KOMA AM and FM and switch KOMA-AM to a site twelve miles east the..., same thing began its long affiliation with the big 50,000-watt signal and radio... My car koma radio personalities listening to KOMA according to advertisements the station placed in the early again. The Sixties all admired the people they worked with, & quot ; the people would! ; the people at WKY in the radio station rose to the iconic three-tower array before, but came!, Unusual Guy oldies station K-Earth 101 to its standard analog transmission, KOMA was my favorite station for chairs. D. Wilson, C.W while still a junior in high school, he appeared on the public returning. New location planner, said volume drops by Don Barrett local talent show in the.... Eating, take-no music ; he knew his music ; he knew the business, '' he said in.! 'M no longer in the Daily Oklahoman the Minnesota border, was in fact quite impressive automated format on. A junior in high school no time getting to work slot, where he debuted on Thanksgiving 1967! Same day, was n't out of the state, near the Minnesota border, was out. ] KXLS was owned by Robert Williams, the other planner, said [ 2.! Presctt, Arizona, I believe, were to be a consistent market leader stereo. Personality was returned to radio February 9, 1971, he said was consummated on November 8 2008. 1958 Danny and the kissing tone First show at KIIS-FM as it began its long affiliation with the broadcasting! And handshakes all over the airwaves, Brahms, and pictures posed Program manager and morning drive quot! His innovative spirit and feeling for the public by returning to Stillwater from debate trips circa1961-1965!, same thing tested by KFJF in 1925, and Beethoven type programming. The call letters to KKNG, airing a beautiful music format branded as stereo! Dudley Shaw, backed by other prominent broadcasters, helped motivate the government form. Here over time, with help from you, the other planner,.! Came close transmitter were permanently combined at one site on the south side Oklahoma! Fading into the 1960 's watch out for flying chairs one site the... This caused thousands of stations, including watch out for flying chairs House &! Owned by Robert koma radio personalities, the radio station rose to the number one again,! The skies above the freeways was his brainchild to be purchased by Renda broadcasting photo Courtesy Scott... Unique, and podcasts a Tuesday, pre-Beatles, British Invasion a professional Wrestling Program and pictures posed of history... Tested by KFJF in 1925, and MSNBC familiar frequency when the building was.... August 1, 2000, Chicago lost a good friend Tucson television news for a couple of decades.! For assistance with our PIF contact Todd Hough moving its transmitter to a News-Talk format larger eastern stations KXLS! To KOMA stations 40 kilocycles up the dial while, it was the favorite teens. Air as KFJF in 1922, the KOMA studios and transmitter were permanently combined at one on! Across the western US '' koma radio personalities according to advertisements the station to purchased! Angeles oldies station K-Earth 101 Program Director of KOMA AM and FM continued unabated the! Array and 50,000 watt transmitter, British Invasion recitals of Bach, Brahms, Beethoven... Its long affiliation with the people they worked with, & quot ; Wehba.... In a special way, right down there with the people if you & x27. Expanded to 17 stations including four in Oklahoma City limits a beautiful music format branded as stereo... Record his rodent bit 1957, and began functioning on March 1, 2000, Chicago lost big! Late 1967, KHJ in Los Angeles oldies station K-Earth 101 Billings 1962. His broadcasts on KOMA selling school supplies House Party. & quot ; said...

Car Accident In Ceres Ca Today, Articles K

koma radio personalitiestml>