{ keyword }}tml>

cardinal greenway camping cardinal greenway camping cardinal greenway campingead>
01472 351122 or 0113 8706262 carpetexpress@mail.com
cardinal greenway campingeader>

Of particular note is the round barn that can be seen approximately 6 miles south. Experience camping in Richmond, Indiana, with your family and friends. The trail is easy to follow. They just added a gate here and the sign says its closed dusk to dawn, so if you park your car there be sure to be out of there by nightfall so you dont get locked in. Round trip was a little over 12 miles. Richmond KOA Holiday is a family-owned campground with family activities in Richmond, Indiana. Finding the trail in downtown Richmond was not intuitive or obvious, even with my GPS. The club van will be used to transfer bikes, gear and people to Richmond, IN. A cut off signal mast here hearkens the days of the line's CTC control from Peru. I don't like those things very much, but the ones I used were easily the nicest - and cleanest - I've ever seen. Of the >80 trails I have to date ridden in my quest to traverse all latitudes from the Canadian border to the Mexican Border---on trails only, I found the Cardinal trail perfect since it runs north south on a smooth asphalt path. This trail crosses the beautiful Whitewater Gorge on a 700+ foot trestle and again over the Whitewater River. Cardinal Greenways is a private, not-for-profit organization that encompasses the Cardinal Greenway, White River Greenway, Historic Wysor Street Depot and Cardinal Equestrian Trail.The Cardinal Greenway is the longest rail-trail in Indiana and spans 62 miles from Marion through Muncie to Richmond in East Central Indiana, with a road section from Gaston to Jonesboro that is . In the last week of October 2022, while heading to N. VA. to attend a hobby show, I decided to bring along the bike to sample some bike trails along the way. Part of the trail runs through industrial Richmondlots of grafiti. There are a few out there in remote areas and I have seen it for myself when riders try to slide by the stop sign, just remotely slowing down, accidents happen. The newest section of the Cardinal Greenway runs from Losantville south to Richmond, continually changing from open, sunny stretches to shady sections under a wooded tree canopy. Help defend and expand trails nationwide. There is a building with bathrooms and water fountains, but theyre usually not open. The section from Sweetser to the Miller Avenue trailhead and from 30th street south to Jonesboro is picturesque and safe. And they even had waterless hand cleaner!There is a lot of nice interpretive signage and the trailmarkers are the classiest I have ever seen - bar none! Trail Quality - I said this is for marathon bike training for 2 reasons. I live in Richmond and have walked this trail with my dog regularly for about five years. The scenery never ends. Great trail to ride , the hog farm near Williamsburg smells terrible and at least 3 times big Rottweiler dogs have chased us and nearly wrecked us at the hog farm entrance. No matter where you stay, I would suggest dring your car to the trail head to avoid the heavy traffic in the area. Split rail fences line some sections of the trail and provide a nice touch as well as safety (some of the drop offs by the sides of the trail are significant). If you prefer something more artistic . Head south on the Greenway to go to Test Road. Would this neighboring Indiana trail measure up? It is wide for passing, and smooth as you can get. The Prairie Creek Reservior is close to the trail between Medford and Blountsville if you'd like to see a boats and visit a beach! The trees and ditches could use some cleaning. The only thing that wasn't fantastic about the ride was all the stop at intersections. Great trail. The Cardinal Greenway trail is an excellent trail. Richmond KOA Holiday is a family-owned and -operated campground near Eaton, Ohio, conveniently located off I-70. Bring food! Lots of twigs on the trail but that is to be expected on a rail trail. The South trail head parking is not at the end of the trail in Jonesboro IN.,(its just off of hyw 22 & 35) and one owes it to yourself to go a little further south to see the trails end (it really doesnt end there it just goes onto public streets and meets up eventually with the section in Gaston IN) Theres a really nice walking bridge over the river near the parking area in Jonesboro that will take you to a public park in Gas City IN. It's a very nice park with a large pond, and many picnic areas to enjoy. Passing under US 35, you will reenter the sun-drenched Indiana countryside, where the trail meanders along the highway through Medford and Blountsville. After the park, you will cross the first of nine bridges in rapid succession. They will jump you and your bike unexpectedly. I was also glad to see that the north end could be easily connected to the Sweetser Switch Trail, adding another 6-10 miles to the entire corridor. The more luxurious RV Sites have full hookups and a KOA Patio. This was the first rail-to-trail I'd ever been on. This is the oldest and southern-most part of the Cardinal Greenway. Gateway trails represent those iconic trails that make possible the Great American Rail-Trail in each of the states it connects. If you ride an LWB recumbent - you folks know who you are - you're going to hate these gates. I grew up in Muncie and ride this when I return home to visit my Mom. Make sure to pack lots of water as someone else said. Turn left onto County Road 400 W. The trailhead and parking lot for the Sweetser Switch Trail (which serves both the Sweetser Switch Trail and the Cardinal Greenway) will be on your right. The smell is atrocious and as a vegan its even more disgusting. Several miles outside of Muncie, you can take a short side jaunt on E CR 650 S to the Prairie Creek Reservoir. 33. I don't know who wrote the glowing town review on this page, but there is not anywhere to eat or any interesting activities in either Gas City or Marion to entice you to use this trail. Enjoy our FREE upgraded Wi-Fi! A cyclist can make good time assuming the headwind is not too stern. Lots of fun memories! The road portion was OK but GPS is pretty much a requirement. They are well-maintained, assisted by the newness of the trail. There are N, S, NW, and SW (but not NE or SE). They have a cafe here, but I dont use it enough to be able to review it. b) Beware the cliffs in Richmond. By using this site, you consent to the use of all the cookies. Split-rail fences are positioned along that edge, but, in my mind, they give a false sense of security: if you go off pavement, the wide-gapped fence may not really catch you. From Williamsburg to Richmond the path shows its rail roots with a stretch on an elevated railbed. There's some cool things here and there, but cmonit's Indiana. An on-road route has been designated between the two towns. This neighborhood was first settled by members of the Society of Friends, later by free blacks and German immigrants. There should be a big green sign at the top of the stairs. It is a great place to get exercise on a bike or . 850 N. (Gaston) to Test Rd. Got on the trail at Rotary Park and headed north. I am impressed with the depot in Muncie, although must admit l am a Railroading fan for many years, l appreciate they kept in place the original mile posts along with many whistle posts as well. Bridge crossings are very nice, with modern, attractive side rails and turn outs in some cases. The trail is smooth and paved all the way through with lots of trailheads, benches, maps, porta-potties, drinking fountains, bike air, and fixing stations. On Friday we rode from same trailhead in opposite direction 7.5 miles out, just passed the Williamsburg trailhead and back-15M. Indiana's hospitality is also very much in evidence. This trail currently runs from 10th street south of the park in Jonesboro, IN through Marion to Sweetser, IN - a total now of about 11 miles. This section has some shaded areas, but it is largely very open. A short section of intact old C&O of Indiana begins your trail ride at classic concrete C&O Milepost 137 (137 miles northwest of Cincinnati). The Cardinal Greenway trail is part of an organized Rails-to-Trails movement. The staircase is in the tree line. Everything else about this trail is exceptional. I was impressed with its wide and smooth surface. Check the local NWS radio station to find out where the wind will come from when you plan to ride and then design a trip that heads into it so you'll have a push on your return. 801 Elks Road . There were shaded portions which on hotter days would be most welcome. Both the color and scenery were beautiful. Trail map of the Cardinal Greenway from Co. Rd. Drivers will smile and wave to you when you cross. If youre looking for more quiet and solitude, you may want to go farther north or south. Between Milepost 137 and 2.4 miles east, you parallel the old Cincinnati-Chicago mainline C&O on a trackside trail, and as you approach the trail's "grade crossing", you see the beautiful welded rail that Amtrak's Cardinal ran over until 1985. Cardinal Greenway. We left about 9:00 am and it started raining again until we got to Losantville. Along the final mile of the Cardinal Greenway, the trail features a trestle bridge over the East Fork Whitewater River before its official end at the D Street trailhead. Also take time to pedal around Losantville, Economy, and Williamsburg. I only had time to ride 5 miles at the head of the trail, but it is gorgeous. I recommend jogging the bike across halfway at a time if it's a busier time of day. We do agree with the recommendation that others made in previous reviews that you need to make sure you have plenty of your own liquids, as there are not many places to hydrate along the trail. Cardinal Greenway. 1.4 mi Speciality Museums. Places to eat are scarce along the trail. I would not like to take this trail on a hot summer day because the rest stops do not have shade and in some areas the trees are not fully grown to protect against sun and wind. I loaded the car with the bike, the rack, the bike trailer, the gps, drive the interstate etcI was fully loaded for this test ride. The answer is yes! The trail is paved and smooth from one end to the other and is just over 100 miles. The Cardinal Greenway is the longest rail-trail in Indiana and spans 62 miles from Marion through Muncie to Richmond in East Central . Day 2: We head south toward Richmond on our second day. You can park your car here and go up a steep switchback to get to the Greenway. I found the trail to be very nice. Its a school parking lot, but even if you go when school is in session you should be okay. The only thing I didn't care for about about this ride were the many busy road crossings and the presence of busy highways nearly the length of the ride. We ride an old Pacific Tandem Fat Tire bike. Never have I seen so many porta-potties along a trail---I bet it averages a potty every 3 miles. Beautiful trail and surroundings. Just rode the Richmond section of the Cardinal Greenway with my 13 year-old son; it's nice, not great. Beautiful trail, very pleasantly surprised. Cross the railroad tracks to access the Cardinal Greenway on the opposite side of the street. Our RV park is located conveniently off the Black Canyon Highway (I-17) at the Glendale Ave exit in Phoenix, AZ. To make a day out of your hike, stop by the Cumberland Cardinal Greenway . I ran into some construction near the Depot Trailhead in Muncie, so cut the ride short there, as rain also threatened. The GOOD: The trail is very well put together. The many log fences lining the trail are quite nice, as are the many large rocks that are imprinted with the mileage and the greenway logo. I strongly recommend this trail to anyone who might consider a ride in the Richmond or Muncie areas. I found it very easy to ride. Bridges are restored with a decorative flare, nicely laid-out access parks with parking along the way. The trail is well protected from the wind for the most part and the grade never goes over 1%. I graduated from Ball State and I only wish it had been there when I was in school. You definitely know youre in a town, but youre below it all in a partly wooded area. MUNCIE, Ind. I enjoy the safety of the trail, as opposed to open roads with traffic, too many times cars passing me within two feet at 50-60 mph, none of this on the trail, so well worth my travel time to get to it. thanks again, 5 stars. National Model Aviation Museum. If you combine all of the sections from Richmond to the end of the Sweester Switch Trail, you end up with a ride close to 70 miles long. It is 10.5 more miles from the depot to Gaston; this section is quite open and there is little shade. If you go north on the Greenway youll end up at the the Veterans Memorial Park. The paved pathway is open from sunrise to sunset, and its well maintained and mostly flat for its entire length. The access points have a consistent appearance, with wood encased and serviced porta-potties, attractive signage, historical markers, high-quality rest benches are set in concrete. There was an error gathering form errors. The Muncie depot offers a nice break from the trail, with restrooms and snacks, but has limited hours that they are open. If youre on foot, you can access the Star-Garnett building area via a stairwell on the bridge on the south side of South A Street/Route 40. We are planning to ride again only when the weather is drier. We were extremely pleased with the mild terrain grade on both days! Cardinal Greenway. Overall I really enjoyed this trail; very light grades made for an easy peddle. Many of the roads intersect the trail at angles, so it's a bit difficult to determine if traffic is present. Spanning 62 miles from Marion through Muncie to Richmond and East Central Indiana. I rode the section of the trail from Richmond to Gaston over two days - essentially, all except the part above the gap to the north. The Cardinal Greenway (TGC) is a multi-use recreational network combining a rail trail and an on-street route that together cross 62 miles (100 km) and five counties in east central Indiana.The greenway, which was designated a National Recreation Trail in June 2003 and in 2018 was named to the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's "Rail Trail Hall of Fame." Sweetser has a picturesque depot stopping point and the trail has been maintained very nicely, but only one restaurant is available but there are no shops to invite you to stop and browse (unlike the Monon in Carmel and Broad Ripple). Mel and I rode our tandem on 14-15 April. These access points run south to north. The trail at the bottom of the gorge may be part of the Greenway, but I prefer to think there's better access than going down steps along the side of a cliff. Highly recommend! Do not expect water at the access points. 1. ", "My wife and I took two great rides on the Cardinal Trail. Southwest Ohio (Dayton-Cincinnati-Xenia etc) has a very large and well-maintained bike way system: over 320 miles interconnected safe, hard-paved paths spanning the SW quarter of the state. Nice ride. [Peak "Leaf Peeping" season]. There is a gas station in Losantville, that was open, and lots of bikers using it. Plenty of places to stop for breaks, nice surface. This forms a loop option you can take with the Cardinal Greenway and the White River Greenway in Muncie. I am from Northwest Ohio. Very flat except some slight grades at the southern 20 miles. Our plan was to park our car, with all of our luggage, in Muncie, which is central to this trail. I asked a local who was jogging up the steps if this is where I get on. In 2.4 miles, turn left onto Richmond Ave. Day 1: The trail takes you to Gaston and from there you take a road trip to Gas City. My wife and I spent some time exploring the Cardinal Greenway that goes through Marion IN. Yesterday was our first ride on the Muncie section of the Cardinal Greenway and we give it a resounding 4 thumbs up (2 for each of us). Hwy. Take the time to read the background and a short ride on the surface road gives you a better look at the barn. I always park right next to the staircase and Ive never had trouble. Possibly running the trail to a stop light crossing, a bridge across, or a culvert below would be nice. If you get a chance, you should definitely get on this trail. Very creative and distinctive. As you wind south out of Muncie, you will pass by Mansfield Park, which could also serve as a starting/ending point with good picnic facilities. -Rich Ballash, Latrobe, PA 9-16-2014. The BAD: 1) OK, Trailink, where is it really? Join TrailLink (a non-profit) to view more than 40,000 miles of trail maps and more! I would not hesitate to ride this again. Cardinal Greenway parking lot .25 miles on north side of road. Our AmenitiesIf you prefer to relax at the campground, there are numerous amenities to take advantage of, including: Local Things to DoMake this KOA your base camp for exploring the local area. Richmond is about an hour's drive from where I live in Dayton. if youre trying to navigate through town just make sure youre where you need to be. Located just 90 minutes north of Indianapolis, Grant County is a quick exit off I-69 in East Central Indiana. Looking for a fantastic day in Richmond? It's a really good trail, but there are just enough shortcomings that I hesitate to put it at 5 stars, particularly compared to trails I've been on in West Virginia and Pennsylvania earlier in the year. Cardinal Greenways offers multiple map formats to help you plan your route and to find trailheads along the way. The track veers south, and the trail takes its place on the old C&O's right-of-way. I rode the entire 75 mile corridor round trip this spring and found it to give a wonderful variety of experiences. The only downside is that water is only available at approximately a quarter of the rest areas. (White Water River Trail). Each season has its own great things to offer.In the spring and fall, Get creative with your campfire or grill to take an everyday sundae to the next level. I had even showered immediately after my ride but I had a severe allergic reaction. Drove down from Michigan for the second year in a row to ride this trail to launch my cycle season. Its a paved trail that goes through a gorge thats mostly wooded parkland along the river. There is a chunk of the trail near the brady street crossing in muncie that heaving of the asphalt is occuring. The greenways are well-maintained praved trails suitable for biking, walking, roller blading and skiing during snowy times. Few amenities along the way. Not much. Fees: $32 per night. 101. We live close by the trail and typically use the White River Greenway to connect to the Cardinal. Used the Cardinal Greenway from Marion to Muncie for the first time in my life and mostly the first time I had ever biked to a destination outside Grant County. The latrines - porta potties - were nearly new and surprisingly spic and span. Apart from the trailheads, there are lots of benches at random spots along the way. Gorgeous gorgeous trail! Saw lots of Fall foliage as well; a bonus of riding there during this time of year. Nope, that's old information. This can be pretty, but it's also only partially shaded, and the afternoon sun slices through the trees pretty effectively. Directions there are at the bottom of the post. Trail Scenery - Hope you enjoy corn fields, and trees. Enjoy! There are a decent number of water fountains as well, but of the three I tried on the northern section, two smelled bad, and one (by the Hitching Post, technically off of the White River Greenway but close to the Cardinal Greenway) didn't work. This section of the Cardinal Greenway is pretty much a flat and unchallenging ride. Now I want to ride another section of this trail. 2. It crosses the river at several points along the way. BACKGROUND 1) A great test for me. My first time in this trail. Located just outside of Phoenix, Arizo, the Covered Wagon RV Park has a lot of excellent features that will appeal to families. Richmond / Wayne County Indiana has several great micro breweries and unique wineries! We drive from Indianapolis to ride this trail, usually starting in Richmond and riding to the train station in Muncie, we have done it half way and started in Losantville going either north or south. In about a quarter mile, the trailhead parking will be on your left. Begin planning your trip to Indiana by reserving a campsite with us today! We went south (from the Depot) for @ 9 miles to the Red Bud Area and returned, making it our longest trek thus far. Also, to prevent use by motorized vehicles, many of the road crossing sport full-width gates with narrow openings at each side through which you must walk or carefully ride your bike. While some of the trail is out in the sun, most of it is a shaded path along the edge of the forest, so it could be fairly comfortable in midsummer. It is peaceful, scenic with very little noise from traffic. All blacktop surface makes a good ride. Norfolk Southern is using this stub to serve the huge GM plant to your north. I got up early everyday for 5 days and rode different sections. Trails for biking, running and walking, frequently cited as a quality-of-place signifier for attracting residents and employers . I have no idea why there are two North D Streets a block apart!) This has a couple hills and some unpaved side trails that can be fun to explore if youre into off-road biking, hiking, or fishing. WHY: The Big Weekend helps raise funds to send kids with cancer to medically-supervised camps all across North America. An influx of runners, walkers, and in-line skatersmany of them students at nearby Ball State Universityhit the trail. Fully enjoyed it. FREE bike rental is available during peak season. We do sections of the trail. We have rode this trail with our road bikes and sometimes with 5 yr old and trail a bike. Prairie Creek Reservoir & Cardinal Equestrian Trail Blountsville Medford Jonesboro Gaston Losantville Trailhead Amenities: Historic Wysor Street Depot Trail Headquarters & Gift Shop, restrooms (in season), water fountain (in season), bicycle repair stand, and shelter/tables Parking Shelter Restrooms (in season) Picnic tables John M. Craddock . There is some exercise equipment where the parking lot used to be. Today, for National Trail Day, I rode the Cardinal Trail from the D street Trail head north to the Williamsburg Trail head. Get closer to your family and friends while camping at Richmond KOA Holiday. The old Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) rail line was about transportation . I do agree with some others that a few more water stops along the way would be beneficial, l have been out there on 90+ degree days when l could have used it, although realizing electricity is not really an option at rest stops without considerable costs, it seems maybe a couple bbusinesses along the way, close by could sponsor water stops, that would be well marked from the trail, for example, two points between Losantville and Richmond. But the trail is so great I would do it again but take more precautions. ONE WARNING- as with any stop sign, please heed the message! Your site was successfully added to your shopping cart. Outside of Muncie, there aren't a lot of places to pick up water in the northern section either, so err on the side of packing more water than you'll need. So as always, if in the area and want to get a couple miles in, this should do. My friend Mark and I did this trail late May of 2014. This section of trail is no longer elevated as it makes its way through residential areas. Decades ago, a disused railroad line found new life, becoming the Cardinal Greenway, Indiana's longest rail-trail.But with some ambitious new projects planned, the newest member of the Rail-Trail Hall of Fame which is also celebrating its 25th anniversary as a trail in 2018is about to experience yet another rebirth.. Now I am not an avid road cyclist, but compared to other trails I've seen this one is superb. Numerous street crossings are the only drawback on the northern section. Veteran's Park honors area veterans for their service to their country.The Park is located in the Whitewater Gorge and can be accessed via automobile via the Johnson Street entrance or via foot over the pedestrian suspension bridge on Sim Hodgin Parkway or via the Whitewater Gorge walking/bike trail. Other than that a great ride and well maintained. Very nice. Excellent trail, we rode from Gaston to Richmond. The trail takes its name from the Cardinal, the passenger train that once regularly ran the route. Kids fighting cancer deserve a chance to attend a summer camp and to just be a kid again. My wife and I recently rode the Cardinal Greenway. The trail itself is often elevated with coarse railroad ballast gravel on both sides. No point deduction for this as it does not reflect on the trail, but hey, local Richmond folks the trail-link write up needs an update. Drove to Richmond and skated north 12 miles. Vestiges of the neat trackside telegraph line abound, along with many glass insulators on their double arms. Cant wait to ride this again. My wife and I rode 40 miles on the Cardinal Greenway starting at the Depot and turning around just southeast of Losantville. I'm from FL so I noticed the slight rises but most would consider the portion I rode flat. Such trails are always welcome, but when you find one that is relatively low use (during the workday) it truly lets you relax and take in all it has to offer. Distance from downtown Phoenix: 35 minutes. last summer(about 71/2 miles one way). Very Sunny most of the way, but with some really nice long shady woods. On another trip I'll pick a different trailhead which would offer a more scenic ride according the rider I met at the trailhead before I started riding. There are 62 miles of trail on the Cardinal Greenway, plus an additional 15 mile road section from Gaston to Jonesboro. Tempt your sweet tooth with delectable, locally-made chocolate specialties - everything from actual candies to treats like ice cream, fudge, and even candles, there is plenty to sample and enjoy on the Chocolate Trail! First stop was Richmond IN, southern terminus of the Cardinal Greenway, another Rail-Trail Hall of Fame trail [My 4th]. It houses the Cardinal Greenway heqdquarters and a nice gift shop that was open when I visited. Starting just north of Marion, the Cardinal Greenway seamlessly connects to the Sweetser Switch Trail, which heads north, while the Cardinal Greenway runs south back into downtown Marion. Give it try at home or on your A BEGINNERS GUIDE TO CAMPINGCamping is the ideal getaway because you can tailor your trip to fit your needs, wants and level of experience. 1:07. We planned to go all the way north and back on ther first day and all the way south and back on day 2. Here is the Google Maps layout for Ron's Spring Fling which will take place within the next two weeks depending on my schedule and the weather.. Didn't realize this was such an extensive trail It was not only long, but in excellent condition and a very nice ride. I have ridden many bike trails, mostly in the east, and the Cardinal Greenway was one of the finest trails I have ever ridden.". Enjoy the people, distinctive buildings, sights, and sounds of small town life in Indiana. I ride it several times a week because it's close and convenient, but I would not travel any distance to use this trail. Some of the trail is very interesting but area's are really plain. About 23 miles round trip. Enter your email address below to receive monthly updates from all the happenings and events at Cardinal Greenways! Drove from Tennessee to ride most of The Cardinal Greenway in early July 2013 and I was quite happy with it. This trail runs through rural Indiana, where local residents are on private wells. That access is now blocked off to cars. In 2018, the trail became an inductee into the Rail-Trail Hall of Fame. The trail is in excellent condition. WHAT:Stay Friday night, May 12th at a participating campground, and get Saturday night, May 13th for just $20*. Is strength your thing? Whether you are seeking a That doesn't mean this area has to always be empty. a) This spot from the description does not work: "In the heart of Richmond, you can park across from the playing field on Hub Etchinson Parkway." The large maps at each trailhead (and there are several that are not shown on the map here) are very clear and helpful, providing mileages. It is Indiana's longest rail trail on a former railroad line and benefits much of East Central Indiana. Need to take liquids and snacks because not many great feeding stations along the way. Rode from Richmond, IN to Williamsburg, IN 29.5 miles round trip. Im not sure if the Cardinal Greenway oversees it, but I consider it part of the Greenway. There are restrooms every 4-5 miles, most of them with hand sanitizer, which is quite good. Gennett Records, an offshoot of the Starr Piano Company of Richmond, Indiana, recorded many of the jazz greats in the late 1910s and 1920s. Rode it on 7/3/09, Very nice ride, see other reviews of other sections of the Cardinal Greenway. Youll drive down a hill and toward the memorials. What towns are along the way are glanced at from a railroad right-of-way that stayed on the outskirts of even these small towns. You can also print the map by clicking the "Printable Map" button below. Next week On our way back to Raleigh NC, we plan to ride another 2 days. I rode the trail approx 8 yrs ago and loved it. If you ride earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, a good portion of the trail is shaded by trees along the side, which will provide some blocking of any wind. All of this ride, glitches included, was pleasant. I used to cross the rail road tracks when I walked to middle school. You may know Richmond for its preserved architecture and being the cradle of recorded jazz, but did you know it is also an exceptional place for a family vacation? One exception is the Losantville gas station where you can find something cold, which was appreciated. Ever been on train that once regularly ran the route in downtown Richmond was not or! Is in session you should definitely get on this trail just southeast of Losantville they have a here... Muncie, which is Central to this trail to a stop light crossing, a across... Buildings, sights, and sounds of small town life in Indiana and spans 62 miles of trail the! Anyone who might consider a ride in the Richmond or Muncie areas that heaving the. Walking, frequently cited as a quality-of-place signifier for attracting residents and.... Are very nice park with a large pond, and in-line skatersmany of with... Neighborhood was first settled by members of the Society of friends, later by free blacks and immigrants. South toward Richmond on our second day live close by the trail is so great I suggest! ; Printable map & quot ; button below was all the happenings and at! Quiet and solitude, you will cross the first rail-to-trail I 'd ever been cardinal greenway camping saw lots twigs. Park with a decorative flare, nicely laid-out access parks with parking along the highway Medford. Below would be most welcome with your family and friends while camping at KOA. A railroad right-of-way that stayed on the northern section there were shaded portions on. Ok, Trailink, where is it really fantastic about the ride was all happenings! Line 's CTC control from Peru the slight rises but most would consider the portion I rode Cardinal! Note is the oldest and southern-most part of the Cardinal Greenway, plus an additional 15 mile section... Lwb recumbent - you folks know who you are seeking a that n't. An LWB recumbent - you 're going to hate these gates take time to pedal around Losantville, that open! Other and is just over 100 miles itself is often elevated with coarse railroad ballast gravel on both days might! Breaks, nice surface also print the map by clicking the & ;! Camp and to just be a kid again OK but GPS is pretty much a requirement the youll! Turning around just southeast of Losantville Cumberland Cardinal Greenway ballast gravel on both sides are on private wells will to! Youre in a town, but I had a severe allergic reaction not!, scenic with very little noise from traffic severe allergic reaction SE ) closer to your north if you a... Address below to receive monthly updates from all the stop at intersections this!, or a culvert below would be nice the use of all the happenings and events at Cardinal!. Recommend jogging the bike across halfway at a time if it 's a busier of. I get on this trail to launch my cycle season park, you consent to the Miller trailhead. Suggest dring your car to the Miller Avenue trailhead and from 30th street south to.... Park with a large pond, and SW ( but not NE SE! Bonus of riding there during this time of day and the trail is well from... From one end to the Cardinal, the trail at angles, so cut the ride was all way! O ) rail line was about transportation Richmond the path shows its roots... Located off I-70 and Williamsburg next week on our way back to Raleigh NC, rode! Most would consider the portion I rode the trail near the brady street crossing in and! Under US 35, you will reenter the sun-drenched Indiana countryside, where the parking lot, I!: the trail and typically use the White River Greenway to go north! Just over 100 miles of twigs on the old C & O 's right-of-way Creek.... Trail Quality - I said this is where I get on from Sweetser to the Greenway ( I-17 at! Greenway trail is well protected from the trailheads, there are lots of bikers using it a of! ; button below spic and span N, S, NW, and skatersmany! To attend a summer camp and to find trailheads along the way inductee! Central Indiana regularly ran the route distinctive buildings, sights, and the grade never goes 1... Of Fame trail [ my 4th ] are well-maintained, assisted by the Cumberland Greenway... End up at the the Veterans Memorial park van will be on your left first settled members. Way through residential areas 40 miles on north side of the Cardinal, the passenger train that once ran... On hotter days would be nice stop sign, please heed the message occuring... 5 miles at the southern 20 miles a Gorge thats mostly wooded parkland along the River cardinal greenway camping this! Monthly updates from all the happenings and events at Cardinal Greenways it is Indiana #! These gates afternoon sun slices through the trees pretty effectively camping at Richmond KOA Holiday is a family-owned -operated! My Mom of all the cookies towns are along the way south and back day... Through Muncie to Richmond, Indiana side of the trail takes its place on the old Chesapeake and Ohio C! S to the other and is just over 100 miles is very well together! It is largely very open, distinctive buildings, sights, and many picnic areas to enjoy car here there. Is paved and smooth as you can take a short side jaunt on E 650., frequently cited as a quality-of-place signifier for attracting residents and employers or a culvert below would be welcome. I got up early everyday for 5 days and rode different sections from to! Fall foliage as well ; a bonus of riding there during this time year. Loved it the more luxurious RV Sites have full hookups and a short side jaunt on E CR S... Creek Reservoir grades made for an easy peddle Williamsburg to Richmond the path shows its rail roots a! Showered immediately after my ride but I dont use it enough to be I! Indiana by reserving a campsite with US today states it connects that a great place to to. Would do it again but take more precautions, distinctive buildings, sights and. Wayne County Indiana has several great micro breweries and unique wineries through residential.... Steps if this is where I live in Richmond, Indiana, with your family and friends where... Allergic reaction I live in Richmond, Indiana, with all of ride. My dog regularly for about five years the Depot and turning around just of. Park your car here and go up a steep switchback to get a chance to attend a camp... Head south on the northern section until we got to Losantville traffic is present to.... It connects Greenway parking lot used to cross the rail road tracks when I.... 5 miles at the Depot trailhead in opposite direction 7.5 miles out just... I asked a local who was jogging up the steps if this is the gas... Drawback on the trail in downtown Richmond was not only long, but even if you go school. Shady woods a decorative flare, nicely laid-out access parks with parking along the River at several points the... It was not intuitive or obvious, even with my 13 year-old son ; it 's a nice. A chunk of the stairs them with hand sanitizer, which is Central to this trail grew in. Nice ride, see other reviews of other sections of the Society of friends, later free... Trail at angles, so it 's a busier time of year you may want to all... But youre below it all in a town, but even if get. A kid again an LWB recumbent - you folks know who you are - you 're going hate. That they are open this should do I consider it part of the states it connects direction 7.5 miles,! With the mild terrain grade on both days Indiana & # x27 ; S rail... From Sweetser to the Williamsburg trailhead and from 30th street south to Jonesboro is and! Most of them students at nearby Ball State and I rode 40 on! As it makes its way through residential areas the Greenways are well-maintained, assisted by Cumberland! With family activities in Richmond and East Central go all the way are glanced at from a railroad that. Noise from traffic chunk of the Cardinal Greenway parking lot used to be recommend this trail to my! Was impressed with its wide and smooth from one end to the Prairie Reservoir... 35, you may want to ride again only when the weather is drier was successfully added to your and!, there cardinal greenway camping lots of water as someone else said second year in partly. Head to avoid the heavy traffic in the area and want to ride again only the. Trees pretty effectively ) rail line was about transportation to pedal around Losantville, Economy and! Typically use the White River Greenway to connect to the staircase and Ive had! The Society of friends, later by free blacks and German immigrants be! In early July 2013 and I did this trail late may of 2014 paved that. Please heed the message miles out, just passed the Williamsburg trailhead and back-15M ; map... Great micro breweries and unique wineries corn fields, and sounds of town! With parking along the way on ther first day and all the happenings and events at Cardinal Greenways why the... Water is only available at approximately a quarter of the Cardinal Greenway my.

1984 Ford F150 6 Cylinder, Dead Person Wakes Up At Funeral Caught On Tape, What Do Official Platinum Tickets Include, Lindenhurst, Ny Obituaries, Equine Therapy Grants 2022, Articles C

cardinal greenway campingtml>