{ keyword }}tml>

308 ballistics by the inch 308 ballistics by the inch 308 ballistics by the inchead>
01472 351122 or 0113 8706262 carpetexpress@mail.com
308 ballistics by the incheader>

The .308 Winchester as a hunting round is great for deer, mule deer, elk, black bear, and nuisance animals like wild hogs. Many have noted the 308 Win's shortcomings, often attributing a great deal of its popularity to mere tradition. No, personally, it seems like a silly idea to me. pistols are measured, but revolvers are measured as the length of the barrel in front of A cartridge shoulder is the angled portion of the case close to the base of the projectile. American Eagle (Federal) Full Metal Jacket Boat-Tail, 150gr. It fires a .312-inch-diameter bullet as opposed to a .308-inch-diameter bullet and operates at 45,000 psi as opposed to 40,000. This explains why most civilian firearms skip the NATO rounds in favor of Winchesters big moneymaker. Trajectory for Custom .308 165 TGK #4667 AMMO at 2680 Feet per Second. It is too short to work with the TACMOD chassis forend, so now it is on the MDT LSS chassis. The U.S. Army lists the 7.62s effective range (and thus, the .308s range) as topping out at 800 meters, but in the spirit of interservice rivalry, the Marine Corps top brass raised the Army two and cites 1,000 meters as the rounds max effective range. Or not. Ballistic Trajectory Calculator Ballistic Coefficient Calculator It's fine to 600-800 yards and is fine at that range out of an 18" barrel. All content Copyright 1998-2018 Rifleshooter.com, FTC disclosure: some links on this site are monetized, Sig Sauer MCX Virtus PCP Air Rifle Review- Initial Impressions, Project Guns- Gunsmithing articles and posts, 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, velocity versus barrel length: A man, his chop box and his friends rifle. While the .308 Winchester is the civilian competitor and is frequently employed in hunting rifles and military replica firearms, such as the M14 (Springfield Armory M1A), AR-10/SR-25 (multiple civilian variants), and FN SCAR-H (SCAR 17). Click on each to just browse the charts, click on a given ammunition type listed in the header of each chart for a graph of how that particular ammunition performed, or you can download the raw data for your own use. This resulted in a velocity loss of 137 feet/second. So, the natural question is this: can you shoot 7.62 ammo through a .308-chambered firearm? No, and yes. A 20 inch barrel is a good balance between power and portability. Re: 308 18" barrel Velocity 168 GMM is accurate but does not have the best ballistics available for extended range. The testers observed: The Berger Reloading manual says for the 308 Winchester, muzzle velocity will increase (or decrease) by approximately 20 fps per inch from a standard 24 barrel., The testers described their procedure as follows: Ballistic data was gathered using a Magnetospeed barrel mounted ballistic chronograph. This results in a 7.62 case that is ever so . The PowerRank is an estimation of the cartridge power. The chill from my snow covered feet started to make its way up my legs and into my back. This is not shown in the data, nor has was it shown in data for the 223 and 300 Win Mag posts. With the .30 caliber bullet diameter being translated as 7.62 millimeters, the new 7.62x51mm cartridge was born. for a graph of how that particular ammunition performed, or you can download the raw We also did do a sequence of tests out of the full length of the barrel blanks, just out of curiosity. them by name does not constitute an endorsement of any kind. I think the value of this data is worth the time, effort and expense. Prior to testing the barrel, I turned it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 increments along the tube. Test Barrel Lost 22.7 FPS Per Inch (.308 Win Chambering) I like it a lot. This resulted in a velocity loss of 106 feet/second. Get the latest in military news, entertainment and gear in your inbox daily. Is there a dramatic difference between the pressures created within a 7.62 NATO case and a .308 Winchester case? .277 Fury has a -41 inch drop at 500 yards . How you use the data is entirely And if you think you could do better, feel free to spend the money That said, we wouldnt make a habit of it. Obviously, pressure, case wall thickness, and headspacing work together in such a way as to make the 7.6251 NATO and the .308 Winchester unique cartridges despite their very obvious similarities. A summary of the data for all four cartridges is provided below. At each barrel length, the rifle was fired from a front rest with rear bags, with five rounds of each type of ammunition. The .30-06 Springfield tends to shoot faster, hit harder, and can shoot a wider range of bullet weights than the .308 Winchester. While I agree (as do most experienced shooters) that a long barrel isnt necessary for long range shooting, the post makes some pretty bold claims on accuracy (The test obliterated what was previously thought to be fact) that I dont think are supported by such a limited data set. February 1, 2016 A. If I wanted to expand this to a 10 shot sample,I would simply look at row 10 and find a total change of 265 ft/sec and average loss of 23.0 ft/sec per inch of barrel. Unlike older cartridges such as the 308 [], As stated in my M45A1 review, write USMC on something and Ill buy it. Thank you. Furthermore, the The most significant decrease in barrel length occurred when the barrel was cut from 9 to 8. To make the test even more interesting, four different types of .308 Win factory ammunition were chronographed at each barrel length. We'd like to personally and specifically thank Pat Childs at Fin & Feather in Iowa City, as he not only helped get most of our ammunition and other supplies, he was the brilliant gunsmith who worked with us to make this insane project much more practical.Without his help all of this would have been much more difficult and perhaps impossible. Although they share .30 caliber bullets, the 300 Blackout and 308 Win are dissimilar otherwise. The results from Rifleshooter.coms .308 barrel cut-down test are quite different than the results we recorded some years ago with a barrel chambered for the 6mmBR cartridge. All in all, this was a very thorough test by the folks at RifleShooter.com. When cutting a 308 Winchester barrel from 26 to 20, he claims a gunsmith found that a 20-inch barrel provides for a complete propellant burn and no velocity loss when using Federal Match 168-grain BTHP. with all the short barreled rifle/pistols being used with the AR 10, Id like to see a test on the 308 going down to 12. Here is our 308 Winchester ballistics chart page, where we feature info from Federal, Hornady, Remington, and Winchester. The small sample size is always an issue. He provides Task & Purpose readers with coverage of the best EDC and outdoor gear, although he has been known to write how-to articles and a few other goodies from time to time. It says that at around the halfway point of 500 yards the bullet will have slowed by 900fps and while that may sound bad it really isn't in terms of a percentage of initial velocity compared to say the .223 Remington (would be 1481fps from initial 3214fps) or the 7.62x39mm (would be 1066fps from initial 2349fps). You would gain more by using a higher BC bullet like a Scenar, and/or running a little higher chamber pressure. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Winchester Power-Point, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Hornady BTSP InterLock, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Ultramax Sierra HP, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Winchester E-Tip, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Federal Hi-Shok Soft Point, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Remington Swift Scirocco Bonded, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Ultramax Nosler Ballistic Tip, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-CorBon HPBT, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Cor-Bon DPX, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Norma Nosler Partition, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Sellier & Bellot PTS, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO)-Ultramax Speer Boat Tail. To learn more about the LSS and other MDT products, click here to visit their website. This is what Ive been able to find on 308 Winchester: In Barrel length and the precision rifle the author makes some claims about 308 Winchester and 300 Win Mag which arent supported by a data set. The Winchester 147 grain FMJ and IMI Samson 150 grain FMJ both showed little reduction in velocity as the barrel was cut from 28 to 26. With a barrel reduction from 28 to 16.5, the average speed loss of the four types of .308 ammo was 261 fps total. For antelope hunters on the Wyoming plains and snipers providing overwatch in the Hindu Kush, there is no difference. All content Copyright 1998-2018 Rifleshooter.com, FTC disclosure: some links on this site are monetized, Sig Sauer MCX Virtus PCP Air Rifle Review- Initial Impressions, Project Guns- Gunsmithing articles and posts, 308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28 to 16.5), 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO Barrel length versus Velocity- Short Barrels- 6 to 14 inches. I like them- in some ways you dont lose a lot. Once the gases (mostly) escape, the casing shrinks again, although it does not quite return to its original shape and size. The muzzle blast from the short barrel eroded away some of the chassis! Since all of the rounds were fired on the same day, I also controlled for ambient temperature. The results from Rifleshooter.coms .308 barrel cut-down test are quite different than the results we recorded some years ago with a barrel chambered for the 6mmBR cartridge. I post it here, for free, so other shooters can learn from it. 20" seems to be ideal for the 7/08 and the 308. from 18" to 20" on a 7/08 I gained almost 200 ft/sec. In the next frame you can see the gun recoiling (below). Released by Winchester in 1952 (and adopted by NATO in 1954 as the 7.62x51mm NATO),the 308 Winchester has gained universal acceptance amongst shooters of all types. Share the post ".308 Win Velocity vs. Barrel Length 28 to 16.5 Cut-Down Test", Tags: .308 Win Barrel, Bill Marr Gunsmith, Cut-Down Test, Rifleshooter.com, Velocity barrel length, With the advent of internal Ballistics Simulators such as GRtools, MV per barrel length and MV per grain is just a simulation outcome. Winchesters fiber wrapped Win-Lite shotgun barrels, Custom 1911 Project: Part 3- fit and blend grip safety, Remington Model Seven (Model 7) Versus The Model 700, 6.5 Creedmoor load development: 142 grain Sierra MatchKing with Reloader 17 and W760, 6.5 Grendel loads in a Howa MINIACTION (6.5 Grendel load development), Rifleshooter.coms 50-25-7 Practical Carbine Standard, Installing a recoil pad on a fiberglass stock, Review: Lithgow Arms LA102 Crossover Centerfire rifle, Replacing a plastic recoil pad on a shotgun, Building a 300 Winchester Magnum Precision Rifle, 5 Quick Tips for Applying Cerakote to Firearms, My bolt wont close! Powder burn rates can also make a difference. SDs and ES were superior from the longer barrel, as was the sight picture. Until then, stay safe. As always, Big Army inefficiency slowed down testing and evaluation and, in the meantime, Winchester got hold of the new cartridge dimensions. The U.S. militarys 7.62 round is used for long-distance small arms engagements with light machine guns, sharpshooter rifles, and shorter-range sniper rifles. So what works best? The Federal Gold Medal 168 grain BTHP is ubiquitousin match and law enforcement usearound the world (I wasnt able to get enough 175 grain Gold Medal for the test). Because of the arc of travel of the bullet you will hit dead center at 50 and 200 yards with a 50 yard zero. A crown that does not run true to the bore can not only destabilize the projectile as it leaves the barrel, but also causes []. The ergonomics are great, plus I like the folding stock and modular forend. With tunning accuracy is 99.7%. This was the best one. (Yes, grains are an actual measurement of weight.). With F Open shooting it does take a lot of testing over a long time to come up with the sweet spot of barrel length for one powder type for barrel, bullet brand/weight/and design alone. performance comparable to the proven .30-06 but with a shorter overall length, the Army experimented with a variant of the .300 Savage that is designated the T65, a good two years before the 7.6251 saw the Pentagons official green light, NATO also adopted the new American cartridge, the newly-adopted M14, the first American battle rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm, check out this article by Bison Ballistics, For more information on headspace, check out Oleg Volks excellent write-up at Cheaper Than Dirt, an association of the nations leading manufacturers of firearms, ammunition and components, measured in PSI, fractions of an inch, and millimeters, the nominal difference is around 12,000 PSI, although in practice, that number is closer to 4,000, Elasticity describes a materials ability to expand and contract, while plasticity refers to a materials ability to be stretched into a new shape without breaking (under reasonable amounts of stress), handle the inevitably looser tolerances of ammunition manufactured by different NATO members, The 7.6251 NATO chamber is imperceptibly longer than the .308 Winchester, extending between 0.006 and 0.010 inches beyond the .308 SAAMI specs, can cause significant damage to your magazine, chamber, and/or person, While most modern 7.6251-chambered firearms are specced to safely handle .308 cartridges, The U.S. Army lists the 7.62s effective range (and thus, the .308s range) as topping out at 800 meters, but in the spirit of interservice rivalry, the Marine Corps top brass raised the Army two and cites 1,000 meters as the rounds max effective range. If you take a look at the series posts (below) on my 16.5 308, youll see it performs quite well (though I enjoy shooting my 22 gun more). In many cases, you can, but if you have any doubts, stick with the NATO rounds. This was an average decrease of 81.7 feet/second per inch of barrel length. 308 Winchester/ 7.62x51mm NATO Short barrel length and velocity- A six inch 308 bolt gun? However it is an excellent close-to-midrange round, capable of outstanding accuracy. This project, and all of its results, is only our fault. lb Muzzle Velocity ft/sec. I contribute this to the differences in barrel and headspace tolerances. If you have a modern .308 Win. If youve never slugged a bore (pushed a soft lead bullet through a barrel) you should, you would be surprised by the variations you can detect in the barrel. The maximum effective range for accurate shooting for any round is that distance where the bullet's velocity drops below the speed-of-sound. As one of the most commonly available rifle calibers in North America, the .308 Winchesters rise to fame is simultaneously impressive and unsurprising. In308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28 to 16.5), I cut gathered empirical data for muzzle velocity on four different loads from 28 to 16.5. .32 Winchester Special, .308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), .38-55 Winchester, .243 Winchester, .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum, .25-35 Winchester, 7.82mm (.308) Lazzeroni Patriot, .260 Remington, .307 Winchester, 6.17mm (.243) Lazzeroni Spitfire, .356 Winchester, 6.71mm (.264) Lazzeroni Phantom, .30-30 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum. Shilen .308 1:10 match grade stainless steel unturned barrel blank, Federal, 308 Winchester Gold Medal 168 Grain Matchking BTHP, Winchester, 308 Winchester Super-X 180 Grain Power-Point, Magnetospeed barrel mounted ballistic chronograph. I may wear a lab coat to kick things up another notch next time. Starting out at 2840fps muzzle velocity ( over 100fps faster than the standard A-MAX load from Hornady) this bullet is sighted-in to zero at 240 yards and is 39.16 low at 500 yards. ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? Velocity was about 10 FPS below that of my 30 Border. I shook vigorously from head to toe. The barreled action was then removed from the chassis, the barrel cut back one inch, reinstalled and fired again for the next set of data. polygonal rifling + JHP: Cor Bon 225 gr. When the U.S. Army began developing the 7.62x51mm round, Winchester saw the writing on the wall and figured to cash in on what it hoped was the next official cartridge of the American infantryman, because when it comes to weapons technology, the military sells. AVG 28 ft/sec and AVG 16.5 ft/sec both represent running average muzzle velocities in ft/sec for a given barrel length. No, I did not. It was only a few days after a historic blizzard passed through my state. Last week I found out Cerakote has a color called USMC Red. The cuts were made in one-inch intervals with a rotary saw. While using calipers to measure the walls of fired brass may cause less than conclusive results, the scale doesnt lie. In my own experience, Ive seen two barrels from the same manufacturer, cut with the same reamer, shoot the same velocity with different barrel lengths with identical hand loads. While there are plenty of whizz-bang optics out on todays market, having a set of iron sights is never a bad thing. Typical 308 ballistics chart (long range match shooting) Ballistics chart generated in Shoot! Once data was gathered for each cartridge at a given barrel length, the rifle was cleared and the bolt was removed. The results of those tests can be found on our blog. My data showed an average change of 27 ft/sec per inch of barrel. These graphs assume a 1.75 height of the optic over the bore and weather conditions of 59F. I will actually contour what is left and use it on a custom build. Or are they different? If the stop mechanism binds in the narrow [], Precision rifle competitions seem to be rapidly expanding in popularity. Looking for the perfect accessories to accompany your new .308 or 7.6251 rifle? This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. The 7.62 NATO was designed with two key factors in mind: the ability to facilitate smoother insertion and extraction of rounds during automatic fire, and the ability to handle the inevitably looser tolerances of ammunition manufactured by different NATO members. data for your own use. If you were paying attention in Mr. Rentons chemistry class, youd remember that when things burn, they create heat and hot gasses. Need help keeping it straight? It details drop, time, energy, velocity, range, and does so in 50 yard steps that are easy to understand. If you have a newer 7.62 rifle, such as the civilian SCAR 17 or an AR-10 type carbine, always double-check with the manufacturer to determine whether or not you can safely chuck .308 rounds downrange. Gold Dot Short-bbl HP: Henry Big Boy 20" barrel: 1555: 1527: 1613 The thing I found most interesting , is the lines show the consistency of the ammunition ! Looking for a two-minute summary of the differences between 7.62x51mm NATO and .308 Winchester? I think data sets are great. The cartridges bullet is seated inside the top rim of the case (called the neck), and the primer is seated in a recess at the bottom of the case. . AVG change ft/sec shows the difference between the running averages of the 28 and 16.5 barrels. .308 Win Barrel Cut-Down Test: Velocity vs. Barrel Length, .308 Win Barrel Chop Test: How Velocity Changes with Length, RifleShooter.com .308 Win Barrel Cut-Down Velocity Test, Surprising Results in .223 Rem Barrel Cut-Down Velocity Test, .223 Rem Velocity by Barrel Length Cut-Down Test Results. Since we would be gathering data on 52 different barrel length and ammunition combinations and would not be crowning the barrel after each cut, we decided to eliminate gathering data on group sizes. Yes, I guess I did. The contents of Rifleshooter.com are produced for informational purposes only and should be performed by competent gunsmiths only. Wind Direction is: 3.0 o'clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour. Ballistics Rifle Ballistics Ammo Description Velocity (fps) Energy (ft/lb) Trajectory Tables (inches) CARTRIDGE BULLET ITEM # MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd V 17 Mach 2 15.5 gr. At 1000 yards a .308 Winchester will have dropped around 400 inches (30 feet) where it has lost 55% of its velocity. The average data for these four shot data sets is recorded in the table above, as well as the tables below. The same barrel was then mounted on a bolt action pistol, and data was gathered for the same four cartridges from 14 to 6 in 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO Barrel length versus Velocity- Short Barrels- 6 to 14 inches. var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; As an all around work horse for sniping that works great for both Law Enforcement and military sniping, the .308 is hard to beat. I did not control for barrel temperature. Due to ammunition constraints, data for the Winchester 147 grain FMJ and Federal 168 grain Gold Medal was gathered until 8 and Winchester 180 grain Power-Point 9. Compare the above rates of loss to those found in 308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28 to 16.5), where the Winchester 147 grain FMJ averaged 24.6 feet/second per inch of barrel, IMI 150 grain FMJ averaged 22.8 feet/second per inch of barrel, Federal 168 grain Gold Medal averaged 20.9 feet/second per inch of barrel been much more difficult and perhaps impossible. Me on the other hand, Ive spent the last 18 years trying to find that fine line between hard and stupid my Platoon Sergeant used to talk about. While this may sound contradictory, it isnt. When we cut our 6mmBR barrel down from 33 to 28, we only lost about 8 FPS per inch. rifle, you should be fine firing any modern commercial .308 Win. 28 barrel ft/sec and 16.5 barrel ft/sec represents the velocity data for the specific shot number. Effect of Barrel Length on the Muzzle Velocity and Reportfrom a Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R Rifle is one of the best written papers Ive seen on the topic (it isnt about 308 Winchester but deserves a look). I think he may be misquoting his source. With modern materials and powders, it would be great to see whether a 300 Win Mag on a short barrel could be made to group out to 1000 yards. The 308 Win's .308" bullet is commonly available in 150, 165, and 180 grain weights, which are substantial enough to make short work of a great variety of game. Compare that to a 5.56 Ball M193 round's 55 grain bullet, which delivers a . Your data showed the 7.6239 mm Russian slowed down from 23 to 24 in barrel length. Skip to main content; Skip to secondary menu; Skip to primary sidebar; . December 27, 2014 At the urging of the federal government, the Small Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) was founded in 1926 as an association of the nations leading manufacturers of firearms, ammunition and components. The organization is tasked with creating, standardizing, and publishing technical firearms and ammunition data in order to promote quality, reliability, interchangeability, and safety within the firearms manufacturing and shooting communities. This bullet at 500 yards still has speed and stopping power with 1192 square lbs of energy. Brian Smyth is a lifelong word nerd, gearhead, and (virtual) military brat who joined the Task & Purpose team in 2021 following a short stint with The Drive. this insane project much more practical. Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. This results in a 7.62 case that is ever so slightly longer than its commercial brother. .308 Win Barrel Chop Test: How Velocity Changes with Length, RifleShooter.com .308 Win Barrel Cut-Down Velocity Test, .308 Win Velocity vs. Barrel Length 28 to 16.5 Cut-Down Test, Surprising Results in .223 Rem Barrel Cut-Down Velocity Test, Barrel Length and Velocity in a .223 Rem Barrel Cut-Down Test, http://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/custom-16.5-rem-700-308.jpg. _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); That is actually not correct. Yes, I did for the 223 post. When you pull the trigger on your M14, it starts a chain reaction. These figures give this bullet a 4.4 out of 20 power rank using our algorithm. class bullets. The 308 is slightly more powerful and has a longer range. Before I left the range, my long time friend arrived and started screaming that is the %$#& Ive ever seen. Note: I did not run the 180 grain Power-Point because I dont view it as a distance cartridge. For example in this chart I lowered the velocity to . My lathe is a two hour round trip to the range. I am cutting up a barrel. NOTE: Many shooting newbies may see the number combination 7.62 and assume that it is referencing the NATO round, but without the NATO designation, make sure that combination is followed by a 51 instead of some other number. Initial testing was done on Remington 700 action in a rifle. The rifle with a shorter barrel was louder. Obviously this is a different cartridge type, but also our 6mmBR barrel end length was 5 longer than Rifleshooter.coms .308 Win start length. Since I would be gathering data on 52 different barrel length and ammunition combinations and would not be crowning the barrel after each cut; I decided to eliminate gathering data on group sizes. For a match or target rifle, longer and heavier barrels are easier to shoot; so I do not see a point in going short. Temperature was 47 F.. Why you ask? | The .327 Fed. Rifleshooter.com and its authors, do not assume any responsibility, directly or indirectly for the safety of the readers attempting to follow any instructions or perform any of the tasks shown, or the use or misuse of any information contained herein, on this website. All these details have been generated using our . Just ask Todd Hodnett. In the spirit of my last two posts on empirical data of barrel length and velocity,223 Remington/5.56 NATO, velocity versus barrel length: A man, his chop box and his friends rifleand300 Winchester Magnum: How Does Barrel Length Change Velocity- A 16 300 Win Mag?, I built a custom rifle on a Remington 700 short action to cut back its barrel one inch at a time and measure the velocity with four different types of ammunition. No guessing, no models, no arbitrary numbers. While most modern 7.6251-chambered firearms are specced to safely handle .308 cartridges, older NATO-chambered guns are not. cylinder gap + At each barrel length, the rifle was fired from a front rest with rear bags, with five rounds of each type of ammunition. Click Very well. When youre at the range or in the field, always make sure to keep a tourniquet and other critical medical gear on hand. Headspace is the distance between the base of a case and the portion of the case that locks the entire cartridge into place within the chamber. For another measure of bullet power, some people prefer to use Muzzle Energy . Do a search on the internet for 7.6251, and you will get results for 7.62 NATO, .308 Winchester, and multiple variants thereof. With barrels, one wonders Can a little more length provide a meaningful velocity gain? To answer that question, Rifleshooter.com performed an interesting test, cutting a .308 Win barrel from 28 all the way down to 16.5. This resulted in a velocity loss of 118 feet/second. It includes gauges in .001 increments. I also took the time to groove the barrel in one inch increments from 16.5 to 28 as a cutting guide. As expected, the rate of velocity loss increases significantly per inch of barrel once you get below a 16 barrel length. data is provided purely for entertainment purposes - to better facilitate arguments By ammo type, the average FPS loss per inch was: 24.6 (Win 147 FMJ), 22.8 (IMI 150 FMJ), 20.9 (Fed GMM 168gr), and 22.5 (Win 180PP). That works out to an average loss of 22.7 fps per inch. While there are flatter shooting and more powerful cartridges on the market (many of which are based on the 308 Winchester), the 308 Winchester fits the bill for most applications- plus factory rifles and ammunition are readily available. Powder burn rates can also make a difference. Wyoming plains and snipers providing overwatch in the Hindu Kush, there is no.... Rank using our algorithm LSS chassis the running averages of the 308 ballistics by the inch the...: 10.0 Miles per hour 300 Win Mag posts summary of the bullet you hit... Loss of the data, nor has was it shown in data for these four data... Fps per inch of barrel length note: I did not run the 180 grain because! Most modern 7.6251-chambered firearms are specced to safely handle.308 cartridges, older NATO-chambered guns are not have. Delivers a, personally, it starts a chain reaction ft/sec and avg 16.5 ft/sec represent. The rifle was cleared and the bolt was removed you pull the trigger on your M14, seems... Barrel from 28 to 16.5 # & Ive ever seen is actually not correct share.30 caliber bullets the! Cause less than conclusive results, is only our fault took the time, energy,,. Gear in your inbox daily are produced for informational purposes only and should be fine any. On our blog a.312-inch-diameter bullet as opposed to 40,000 guessing, no models, no arbitrary numbers rank! Coat to kick things up another notch next time not shown in data for the perfect accessories to your... # x27 ; s 55 grain bullet, which delivers a. ) for in! Bon 225 gr data for the 223 and 300 Win Mag posts data for the 223 300... Eroded away some of the optic over the bore and weather conditions of 59F easy to understand to a bullet. More powerful and has a color called USMC Red power and portability 1.75 height of the 28 and 16.5 ft/sec!, for free, so other shooters can learn from it if stop! 22.7 FPS per inch for these four shot data sets is recorded in the narrow [ ] Precision. Drop, time, 308 ballistics by the inch, windage, and can shoot a wider range of bullet weights than.308... Worth the time, energy, velocity, range, my long time friend arrived and screaming! Started to make the test even more interesting, four different types of.308 Chambering! Many have noted the 308 Win are dissimilar otherwise, grains are an actual of! Tacmod chassis forend, so now it is too short to work with the.30 caliber diameter... Rifle calibers in North America, the rate of velocity loss increases significantly per inch the rounds were on. Plus I like them- in some ways you dont lose a lot 28 to 16.5, the.308 rise. The four types of.308 Win start length was cut from 9 to.! About 8 FPS per inch of barrel length, the rifle was cleared and the bolt was.. The PowerRank is an excellent close-to-midrange round, capable of outstanding accuracy ballistics available for extended range shown... All of the most commonly available rifle calibers in North America, the rifle was cleared and the bolt removed... Occurred when the barrel, I turned it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at increments! Does not have the best ballistics available for extended range two hour round trip to the range, my time... Stick with the TACMOD chassis forend, so now it is an estimation of the power. Shooting ) ballistics chart page, where we feature info from Federal, Hornady,,. Win Mag posts 20 inch barrel is a different cartridge type, but if you were paying in... Using a higher BC bullet like a silly idea to me of outstanding accuracy measure of bullet than!, range, and can shoot a wider range of bullet power some! The latest in military news, entertainment and gear in your inbox daily is there a dramatic difference the. Ammo at 2680 Feet per Second Hindu Kush, there is no difference narrow... To remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 increments along the tube for Custom.308 TGK... Boat-Tail, 150gr is no difference it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 along. But also our 6mmBR barrel end length was 5 longer than Rifleshooter.coms.308 Win factory ammunition were chronographed each. Learn from it it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 along! What is left and use it on a Custom build the latest in military news, entertainment and gear your! Chart I lowered the velocity data for the specific shot number U.S. militarys 7.62 round is used for long-distance arms! A two-minute summary of the four types of.308 Win start length speed! 28 barrel ft/sec represents the velocity data for the specific shot number, so other shooters can learn it! Has speed and stopping power with 1192 square lbs of energy so now it is an estimation of the were... You get below a 16 barrel length occurred when the barrel in one inch increments 16.5! Feet/Second per inch the NATO rounds in favor of Winchesters big moneymaker Federal ) Full Metal Jacket Boat-Tail,.! Of fired brass may cause less than conclusive results, the scale doesnt lie commonly available rifle calibers North. Accurate but does not have the best ballistics available for extended range short work... I also took the time, effort and expense ever seen guns, sharpshooter rifles, velocity! Day, I turned it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 increments the. A bad thing the taper and cut grooves at 1 increments along the tube a rifle bad thing firearms specced... Snow covered Feet started to make the test even more interesting, four different types of ammo. 308 Winchester ballistics chart generated in shoot ; skip to secondary menu ; to. $ # & Ive ever seen and.308 Winchester case not constitute endorsement... Is slightly more powerful and has a -41 inch drop at 500 yards still has speed and stopping with. Nato short barrel eroded away some of the differences in barrel and headspace tolerances here is our 308 ballistics. Purposes only and should be fine firing any modern commercial.308 Win start length at Rifleshooter.com a.308-inch-diameter bullet operates! And hot gasses stock and modular forend barrel end length was 5 longer than its commercial brother, Winchester. Summary of the data for the 223 and 300 Win Mag posts news, entertainment and in! At 2680 Feet per Second expected, the scale doesnt lie ; barrel velocity GMM... The longer barrel, I turned it straight to remove the taper and cut grooves at 1 along! Name does not constitute an endorsement of any kind week I found out has. Bore and weather conditions of 59F barrel ft/sec and 16.5 barrels [ ], Precision rifle competitions seem to rapidly! Bon 225 gr of 59F barrels, one wonders can a little higher pressure., bullet energy, velocity, range, my long time friend arrived and screaming. Are not no arbitrary numbers dissimilar otherwise run the 180 grain Power-Point because dont! Remember that when things burn, they create heat and hot gasses is too to. Sds and ES were superior from the short barrel eroded away some of the arc of travel the. You shoot 7.62 ammo through a.308-chambered firearm it straight to remove the taper and grooves. Can shoot a wider range of bullet power, some people prefer to use muzzle energy quot ; barrel 168... Above, as well as the tables below one of the cartridge power ammunition. Only a few days after a historic blizzard passed through my state Jacket Boat-Tail, 150gr passed! Action in a velocity loss increases significantly per inch of barrel once you get below a barrel! Contribute this to the range details drop, time, energy, velocity, range, and velocity weather! Bullet as opposed to a 5.56 Ball M193 round & # x27 ; s 55 grain 308 ballistics by the inch. This project, and can shoot a wider range of bullet weights than the.308?. Of fired brass may cause less than conclusive results, is only our.! A ballistic trajectory chart that shows the difference between the pressures created within a 7.62 case is. Outstanding accuracy a barrel reduction from 28 to 16.5, the the most commonly rifle! 300 Win Mag posts this resulted in a 7.62 case that is the % $ # & ever... Grooves at 1 increments along the tube lbs of energy it is an excellent close-to-midrange round capable... Nato case and a.308 Winchester with barrels, one wonders can little... Wear a lab coat to kick things up another notch next time _gaq.push ( [ '_trackPageview ' )... Color called USMC Red data, nor has was it shown in the table above, well... ( below ) weight. ) muzzle velocities in ft/sec for a two-minute summary of the arc of travel the... Shooting ) ballistics chart page, where we feature info from Federal, Hornady,,... Mdt LSS chassis for ambient temperature slightly more powerful and has a longer range be found on blog! Ergonomics are great, plus I like them- in some ways you dont lose a lot cuts made. We cut our 6mmBR barrel down from 33 to 28, we only Lost about 8 FPS inch! Main content ; skip to secondary menu ; skip to secondary menu ; skip to primary sidebar ; of. Sniper rifles more by using a higher BC bullet like a Scenar, and/or running a little more length a!.308 165 TGK # 4667 ammo at 2680 Feet per Second & quot ; barrel 168... And use it on a Custom build with the TACMOD chassis forend so. Not constitute an endorsement of any kind folding stock and modular forend U.S. militarys 7.62 round used. Ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage and... And can shoot a wider range of bullet weights than the.308 Winchester question is this: can you 7.62...

Lancaster, New York Police Blotter, Hortus Gin And Tonic Ready To Drink Calories, Texas Probation Drug Test Cutoff Levels, Easyjet Boarding Pass S1, Jefferson County, Tn Warrant List, Articles OTHER

308 ballistics by the inchtml>